Some Good News...


Let’s take a moment to enjoy some good news, OK?

As some of you know, I was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer in July 2015, and was given a 10% chance of surviving through the end of the treatment.

And here I am.

Today I had my regularly-scheduled 3 month follow up exam with my oncologist, and I remain in complete remission.  Completely healthy, as far as anybody knows.  Moreover, I feel spectacular – literally the same way I did when I was in my 20’s, which you can see from my selfie is clearly not the case.

Everybody around me knows that this is very much a one-day-at-a-time existence, and things could change quickly, but that of course is true for all of us at all times.  That said, it’s now been over 14 months since the completion of my treatment, and I’ve had the most satisfying, productive, and HAPPY year imaginable.

I think everybody who is handed a cancer diagnosis immediately realizes that their life has just changed.  For me, the changes were all positive – paradoxically, I regard this as the very best thing that ever happened to me.  This experience has turned out to be a major turning point in my life – both inner and outer – and has become a gift of immeasurable worth.  I’m grateful for it every single day, and wouldn’t change a thing about it even if I could.  It has made me a better person in every single way I can think of.  Period.

This isn’t something I particularly need to – or wish to – talk about often.  I wrote about the experience in an extended blog post last year, and haven’t felt the desire to say much about it since then.  There are plenty of other things I’d prefer to talk about and you’d prefer to think about. In fact, my main motivation in saying all of this is so I can be some sort of help and encouragement to those who might be having similar experiences.

So… I hope that gives your day a shot of genuine optimism, and for me, it is time to get back to work…

Vita brevis, ars longa, occasio praeceps (Life is short, Art is long, and Opportunity is fleeting)  -Hippocrates