Tuesday, December 24, 2013

My first acrylic painting

Jeffrey Hayes: Christmas Ornament I
“Christmas Ornament I” • Acrylic on Panel • 5 x 2 inches (12 x 5 cm) • 2013
This painting is available at the J. Todd Galleries in Wellesley, MA.

This is my first effort using acrylics. I've stayed away from them up until now, first because of some mistaken notions about the medium, then out of interia; oil is what I know, so I've stuck to it. But I've wanted to try something new, and also find ways to speed up my working process. A few months ago I invested in a limited palette of acrylic paint and have been experimenting with it since. The whole process has been fascinating; glazing in particular is a dream, although I am finding a few limitations as well. One of my galleries was interested in a few Christmas ornament paintings, so I took the opportunity to do one in acrylics. I'm pleased with the process and result, and have been doing a number of small works in this medium since then.

To see more paintings like this one, please click here.

2 comments:

cheryl meehan said...

Beautiful and inspiring.

Joyce Washor said...

Would never have known it was acrylic. Always good to try new stuff. One medium informs the other. At least i find that with oils and watercolor. How many colors did you use?