Tuesday, July 16, 2013

One-day painting




I've never been satisfied with the speed I've worked; far too slow. I've been able to complete miniatures in a day, and years ago I did a painting a day for a while, but those were usually alla prima landscape sketches. Because of the way I've worked, though, anything larger has taken days, if not weeks.

Over the last few months I've made some modifications to my process, so I wanted to see if I could complete a substantial painting in one day. This is the result. There might be a few details to glaze on after it's dry, but at the beginning of yesterday it was a blank canvas, and by the end of the day it was a finished painting.

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

I'm also a "slow" painter. when you say a day what does that mean in terms of hours? Also would you elaborate on how you tweaked your process to speed up? Have been enjoying your paintings. Thanks,
Jeanne Ciravolo