In Progress - June 18




The completed first pass.

I had a great question a few days ago about what makes me choose between direct painting and an underpainting/glazing approach. Lately I've been trying to do as much as I possibly can in the first pass, mostly for time considerations; I simply don't want to be spending as much time on each painting as I have been.

Glazing certainly does have a place, though. On the stone slab of this piece, for instance, there's a tremendous amount of detail that would be quite difficult to paint onto a wet surface - it would turn into a mess quickly. I'm going to wait until the painting has dried, and then glaze those details, as well as a few color/temperature corrections I'd like to make.

Basically, the bottom line is rather than a consistent approach, I'm trying to view glazing as just one more tool; albeit an important one.