Metal and Wood No. 1

Jeffrey Hayes: Metal and Wood No. 1
(click image for larger view)

"Metal and Wood No. 1"
Oil on cradled panel, 17 x 24 inches (43 x 61 cm)


Although I have shown this painting previously, I haven't dedicated a posting to it, and it clearly deserves its own post.

This is "Metal and Wood No. 1", my latest large painting. For some time now, I've been interested in fantastic possibilities that antique hand tools offer for still life painting. In a way, they have everything an artist could want: color, texture, amazing forms, and understated sense of story. For this piece, I wanted to combine as many tools as I could into one composition, and present them in an almost architectural way.

Although at first glance it might seem like a jumble of forms, in fact spent a full day getting the arrangement exactly right - the progression of angles in the small horizontal screwdriver, the drill handle, and the large upright screwdriver is no accident.

As with many of my other larger pieces, here the background is in fact a vital and integral part of the composition - in no way a "secondary" area of interest. I paid every bit as much attention to the wood grain on the shelf as I did the metal of the plane.

This painting is currently displayed at Mason Murer Fine Art in Atlanta, GA. For purchase information, please contact the gallery here. To see larger views of the painting, please visit my website here.

By the way, just in case anybody was wondering, this is the painting that ended up on the front side of the cradled panel whose construction I described in a recent post.

Labels: