Addison Gallery

I was out running errands late this afternoon, and stopped in to the Addison Gallery of American Art at the Phillips Andover Academy for a quick look. It's right down the road from my house, so of course I've been to this museum before, but there has been a substantial reworking of the exhibition space, and the display does rotate.

The highlights for me were the three absolutely phenomenal Winslow Homer paintings, though I also enjoyed the large George Inness, and also smaller landscapes by Bierstadt, Church, Jasper Cropsey, and Asher B. Durand. The Durand in particular was a revelation to me. I've seen some of his work before, but his tree study in the gallery is one of the finest, most fluid and natural depictions of complex tree forms I've ever seen. I'm definitely going to be looking at more of his work.

It's a small museum - one literally can see the whole thing in an hour or so - but I consider it one of the gems of Boston area culture. It has a terrific collection, admission is free, and the staff is friendly and welcoming. If you live in the area, and haven't yet been, treat yourself to a visit.

Labels: