Kaleidoscope: Magnifying Glass No. 1

Painting a day: Kaleidoscope: Magnifying Glass No. 1


"Kaleidoscope: Magnifying Glass No. 1"
Oil on panel, 5 x 5 inches (12 x 12 cm)

Available: Purchase Information


Kaleidoscope.
From the Greek: καλός (kalos), "beautiful" + είδος (eidos), "shape" +
σκοπέω (scopeο), "to look at, to examine".
Roughly, “looking at beautiful forms”



Although a lot of work is involved in a painting like this, I really enjoy the fact that this series allows me to produce work that has a more spontaneous, unstudied feel.

For years, random groupings of objects sitting around my studio have caught my eye, leading me to admire some particular aspect of the combination. I've spent a good deal of time and energy trying to recreate those aspects in the confines of traditional still-life arrangements, but the results were almost always disappointing. Forcing a pre-conceived notion into a tightly controlled composition usually destroyed the element that drew me to it in the first place.

Turns out the answer was simple: Paint what you see.

Labels: , ,