Odds & Ends



It's been a while since I've done an odds & ends post, so I thought I'd indulge today.

The picture above is one of my current works in progress. I've painted plenty of oranges before, but this time I'm spending a lot of effort in getting the translucence just right. Interesting challenge.

I've started listening to a great podcast from the BBC called In Our Time. It's probably the most civilized and intelligent panel discussion I've ever heard. Each week the moderator chooses a topic - usually a very interesting topic - and invites 3 experts from that field to talk about it for 45 minutes. Subjects range from the destruction of Carthage to Albert Camus to 17th century witchcraft... and more. Fascinating, addictive stuff.

Darren Maurer has started a new project in which he's doing frequent small pieces (nothing new), but he's doing them as series, which is sort of unusual and interesting for daily/frequent paintings. Although I have done groups of paintings (like my sushi paintings), I've never deliberately done a series in the sense of one related painting immediately following another. That approach has been on my mind lately, and I might give it a go sooner or later.

My new favorite iPhone app is Stanza. To me, it's pretty much the perfect reader (and I've tried a number of them without being satisfied), and as a bonus (ok, it's whole reason for existing, I should say), you can purchase eBooks from pay sites, and get thousands for free from some other sites (like Project Gutenberg). I've been a PC person all my life, and pretty much looked at the whole Mac world as being one big cult. That is, until I drank the Kool-Aid and got an iPhone. Now I believe. I do. I really, really do.

It seems that crabs feel pain, and remember it too. Great. Just one more thing to tweak my conscience when I sit down and look at a menu. I’m not a vegetarian, but I do strongly believe in the proper and humane treatment of food animals.

Finally, I was in downtown Boston for dinner tonight (no, I did not eat crab), and snapped the below picture outside the restaurant. It's in one of my favorite parts of town; there are groups of beautiful 19th/early 20th century brick office buildings surrounded by Post-Modern skyscrapers. In tonight's fog, they sort of looked like hovering alien spacecraft.

Have a great weekend, everybody.

Labels: ,