In Progress: Cheese & Crackers II



It's down to business this week. I have 2 commission pieces to finish, and I also committed to doing a certain number of paintings per month when I joined Daily Paintworks. Good problems to have, but the clock is ticking.

The in-progress shot is for one of the commission pieces. To me, there's nothing more beautiful to paint than an object emerging from shadow into direct light, so I really enjoyed working on the round cheese box. I love this phase of the work where the finished objects start to fully emerge from their rough beginnings.

The camembert itself is named after the ocean liner Ile de France, and you can see a dim graphic of it above the name. This would at first seem to be a rather odd way to promote cheese, so I did a quick little search about the ship. Built in 1925 and operated until 1959, it was entirely fitted with Art Deco design, and appears to have been the very pinnacle of luxury. She also played a critical role in the rescue of passengers during the sinking of the Andrea Doria.

You can see some pictures of the Ile de France here. Must have been an extraordinary way to travel.

Labels: ,