Copper and Garlic

Painting a day: Copper and Garlic
"Copper and Garlic"
Oil on panel, 3.5 x 3.5 inches

Sold

This is the finished version of the in-progress painting I posted yesterday. It seems to have a more pronounced classical feel than much of what I've done lately, and that was intentional. After doing a lot of pieces with somewhat unusual croppings and compositions, and including complex glass and metal effects, I wanted to take a step back. By working with a straightforward balanced arrangement of humble objects that Chardin would have used, I was really able to get the simplicity I was aiming for. Fortunately, there was still enough going on here to keep myself interested (and hopefully others!).

It's probably not the kind of painting I want to do all the time, but it was a great change of pace, and I'll certainly do more of these in the future.


Labels: , ,