In progress: Chopstick and Green Bottle



Some days it's easy to paint, and some days it's not. Today was not. Really not. I've always had problems maintaining focus and concentration. For a while I even got a prescription to help with that. It did the job, but I hated the way it made me feel (jittery, always on edge), and stopped taking it. So... I end up with days like today... I could only work in fits and starts, constantly distracted by youTube and games of chess against my iPhone. Making a success out of this kind of day has nothing to do with inspiration, and everything to do with dull, heavy determination... one foot in front of the other, one brush stroke after the other. Pick up brush after each diversion. Keep going. Rinse, lather, repeat...

And... the good news is that at the end of the day... I managed. This is the complete underpainting for one of the new compositions I wrote about last week. A little difficult to discern from the grisaille, but it's a chopstick in an antique glass bottle on a piece of silk chinese embroidery. The underpainting still needs a little touch-up, but I'm actually quite excited about this one.

Hopefully I should have another Fragment tomorrow.

Labels: ,