Fragment: Lemon Tea

Painting a day: Lemon Tea
"Fragment: Lemon Tea"
Oil on masonite, 3.5 x 2.5 Inches
Sold

With this Fragment I actually skipped the underpainting phase, and worked up the final layer directly over the sketch. This felt a little odd because I've been so fanatical about that process for the last year or so. I am a firm believer in changing method from time to time, so it felt pretty good to do so today.



That said, I have mixed feelings about this one. I do like the motif a lot, especially the twisting of the lemon. The teacup, in particular the patterns, however, introduce a little too much action. Combined with the patterning of the cloth, it feels overly detailed... especially in such a small composition. I might try something similar, but substituting a plain glass for the teacup.


Fragments is a new series of very small paintings, generally in the ACEO format, or 2.5 x 3.5 inches. They are studies for upcoming works, details from previous pieces, or simply found objects which caught my attention. I debated how to price these, and finally opted to make them extremely accessible and affordable. For the time being, the starting bids will be set at just $25.

Please click on the image or the purchase information link and have a look!

Labels: , ,