Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Redefining Tradition



Last week I was contacted by Katelin Kloberg, who is a grad student at RISD, asking permission to use some of my images and videos for a project about redefining the traditional still life. Naturally I was flattered, and of course said yes.

The above poster is a part of that project, and I think it looks amazing. It's even more impressive in the original dimensions, but the file was enormous (it is a poster, after all), and I had to reduce it to a web-friendly size. Take my word for it, though, it really looks even better at 7200 x 10800 pixels.

Actually, I was intrigued by the "authentic" old still life which was paired on the poster with my sushi paintings. At first glance, I assumed it was a Chardin I wasn't familiar with, but that's not the case. It's actually by Alexander Adriaenssen, Flemish, 17th century. After making a quick image search, I certainly had the feeling this is an artist I should be familiar with, but no, he's new to me. I'll be looking for more of his work.

So, thanks Katelin! I'm honored, the project looks great, and I made a very welcome discovery. Good luck!

10 comments:

Pierre Raby said...

A great poster for a great and passionate artist. I'm happy for you and for these beautiful sushi
paintings! More people will be inspired by your art.
-Pierre

Glendon Mellow: The Flying Trilobite said...

Pretty amazing!

Congratulations, Jeff!

Jeff Hayes said...

Thanks Glendon!

Thanks Pierre; I'm tremendously flattered, especially considering the source! Comments like that make me think I ought to get right back to my studio and actually do some work... :)

Dawn Chandler said...

Very, very cool! Bravo to the painter and poster artist alike!

~ Dawn

Brooke said...

What a fantastic poster. The layout is excellent and the words "Refining tradition" is the only way to describe these lifelike pictures.

Jeff Hayes said...

Thanks Dawn and Brooke!

Jean Victory said...

The poster layout is very nice and compliments your incredible work. Nice!

Jeff Hayes said...

Thanks Jean! I agree; she did a great job.
-Jeff

I. said...

Congratulations! The poster is amazing (as are the paintings depicted on it). Just got the link to your new blog today. -Ilona

Jeff Hayes said...

Thanks Ilona!