Monday, August 25, 2008

Chocolate and Foil

Painting a day: Chocolate and Foil
"Chocolate and Foil"
Oil on linen on masonite, 10 x 10 Inches


This painting was just plain fun. It was a pleasure to take a subject that's somewhat unusual for me, and to set the composition in a way that's also a little out of the ordinary... for me.

The foil was one of the bigger challenges I've had so far as a painter. Foil curves and creases in complex ways, setting up a bewildering array of edges to deal with. But again, it was fun.

Tasty, too...

Purchase Information


Thanks,

9 comments:

Glendon Mellow: The Flying Trilobite said...

Delightful!

The chocolate even looks warm from the light source.

Pierre Raby said...

Having fun in what ever we do creates
harmony. This painting is joyful and
masterly alive. Great surprising work
Jeff!
-Pierre

A Reason to Paint said...

You've done the foil exceptionally well; one would never know from looking at the work that it presented a challenge to you. As for the chocolate, it looks so very edible! Now that WOULD be a challenge - leaving it sit there long enough to paint it!

Jean Victory said...

A nice composition...well done!

Jeff Hayes said...

Thanks Everyone!

Yeah Glendon - I have halogens everywhere in my studio - it gets pretty toasty in there.

I totally agree Pierre - whether it's true or not, I always *feel* like I'm doing my best when I'm having a lot of fun at it.

Thanks Reason - I'll let you in on a secret - I'm not a huge chocolate fan. I can take it or leave it, even leaving it long enough to paint. Well... that, and I worked from a digital image :)

Thanks Jean!

-Jeff

FCP said...

The foil is just incredible -the whole painting is a "wow", well done!
Faye

sharilynn1999 said...

oh i love tublerones!! this is gorgeous too! looks so real!!! :D

mckelveystudio said...

Beautiful work Jeff, your values and composition are very strong!

Jala Pfaff said...

Hi Jeff,
I've long been an admirer of your paintings. You have an especially beautiful touch, I think, painting glass. The olive oil bottle is amazing. (And you're also great at the tin foil!)
I'd love to be added to your list of Daily Painters' bloggers. I'm at: http://www.jalapfaff.blogspot.com.
Cheers and happy painting......
Jala