Big Lemon Jar, Day One

OK, this is a little different. I'm working up some larger paintings, and I thought it might be fun to show the process. Rather than creating an actual movie, I've simply taken photos throughout the working day, and threaded them together.

This is by no means the method I use for all of my paintings, but I do find it useful for some.

It starts with a detailed initial drawing. As you can see, it's a fairly large canvas - 24x30 (large for me, anyway).



Once the drawing is completed, a monochromatic underpainting is laid down, using very thin washes of raw umber, black, and white. Click on the arrow to watch the video, and pardon that floating watermark (eventually I'll get around to purchasing the video editing software rather than using the trial version...)



And that's pretty much one day's work. I'll continue to post as I progress on this piece.

Labels: , , ,