From the Jaws of Defeat

Yesterday's painting trip didn't get off to the greatest start. I was joining Pam Giarratana to paint in the gardens of the Cushing House Museum in Newburyport. Walking into the garden, the handle on my french easel broke, sending my easel and fully laid out palette crashing facedown on the sidewalk. Disaster number one. 15 minutes into painting, it started to rain. Disaster number two. Half an hour into painting (wet by this point), I realized that the perspective of the scene as I'd laid it out was hopelessly wrong, and that the only way forward was to wipe off the panel and start again. Disaster number three.

It got better from then on. The rain stopped, I decided to work on a floral study rather than a full garden scene. It was a real departure for me both in subject and execution, but I'm relatively pleased with it.



Floral Study
Oil on linen on panel
8" x 10"
Click here to purchase





All the while, I had a nice conversation with Pam, and she was telling me of places nearby to paint marsh scenes. After finishing up in the garden, I decided to at least scout them out on my way home. One of them was so good, though, that I decided to set up the easel again and paint it.



Salt Marsh No. 6
Oil on linen on panel
8" x 10"
Click here to purchase



So, from what seemed like a pretty hopeless start to the day, I managed to have 2 pieces by early afternoon, and found a great spot for more work in the future.