Rockport en plein air

Yesterday the weather finally cleared, and I was able to get out and do some plein air painting. Last month I'd asked around and found a regular informal group that meets at various locations north of Boston every Wednesday morning. However, it's actually rained on every wednesday since, and yesterday was my first opportunity to join them. I've painted with other people in group figure/portrait sessions, and it can be nice. This is the first time, though, that I've painted with others outdoors.

The chosen place this week was just outside of Rockport. The Gloucester/Rockport/Cape Ann area has been the favorite of generations of artists, and deservedly so - there are some really terrific places to paint. We were at the grounds of a guesthouse right on the shore. I basically decided to ignore any of the buildings, and focused my sketch on the ocean, where I felt the real drama was.