Haiku No. 1: Across the Rail Tracks



Haiku No. 1: Across the Rail Tracks
Oil on Linen on Panel
8"x6"
(click here to purchase)


This morning's painting is actually in a style I've been moving away from over the last few years, tending to prefer greater realism. However, I'm still fascinated by it's ability to capture effects of brilliant light, and some subjects, like this, just seem to need a brusque treatment.

The title of the new series, Haiku, refers to my longstanding interest in small asian literary forms. Done well, I love their ability to condense and concentrate enormous experience into just a few words. Like any small art form, they often transcend their apparent limitations and gain a monumentality lacking in many larger forms.

And that's the paradox that intrigues me here... can small paintings end up being Big Art?