Learning from Muybridge

Charley's comment in a recent post of mine reminded me of a little project I started last year. I asked a friend to give me Muybridge's Human Figure In Motion as a christmas gift.

This is a collection of hundreds of his stop-motion photograph series of humans (he also did animals), engaged in various activities like walking, running, even boxing, amounting to thousands and thousands of images. They are scientifically and technically fascinating, and they also have this haunting artistic quality as well.



It's a good book to have for any reason, but the idea was to copy and sketch the images to get practice doing dynamic poses of the body. I did this for a little while, but found the images terribly small to work with, and I eventually got interested in other things. However, it still seems like a good idea, and I'd like to revisit it eventually.