Fresh Paint: Rocks, Gull, Fog



Newly Completed Work:

Rocks, Gull, Fog
Oil on linen on panel
5" x 5"
November, 2005


This painting is a little bit of a departure for me. The impetus came from a view I'd seen recently while driving early in the morning. Passing a fairly large pond, there were several rocks jutting out from the shore, and a gull was perched on one of them. A rather thick veil of fog enveloped the whole landsape, giving a very soft mysterious quality to it all. It really looked like something right out of an ancient chinese scroll painting.

I didn't have time to stop to paint, nor did I even have any of my equipment with me, so the scene just floated my me. A few days after, I was going write a post here lamenting the fact that to the artist, being out and about in the world is a series of frustrations: there is never time to create all the paintings we can see an imagine, and so many great scenes, like this one, must go unpainted.

Before I got to writing that post, however, I decided more or less on a whim to paint the scene from memory and imagination. I almost never do this, preferring to work with the subject directly in front of me. So, here it is. I can't say I'm overwhelmed by my effort, but in the end, it's better than complaining. Hope you enjoy it.