and on, and on, and on...

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but lately probably even the majority of my art-related time is spent on activities other than painting.

For instance, today I'll have a good block of art-related time available. If I'm lucky, I'll have approximately 6 hours to devote to it. I expect I'll be able to get about 2 hours of painting done. I then have to finish up a mailing I'm trying to get out the door (1 hour), do some video editing for another of my painting movies (1.5 hours), take care of some emails (half an hour), and then plan some website enhancements (easily an hour). This is to say nothing about preparations for my upcoming show next week and the month-long online auction... It just doesn't stop.

Granted, a lot of things are coming together in the next few weeks that are making me pay attention to logistics more than I might, but I imagine this is a common enough situation. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that artists on average only spend 50% of their working time actually making art - the rest is spent on chores, essentially. Today at lunch I mentioned this to Chris Howard, and he said it's pretty much the same for writers.

I envy my studio neighbor who has an intern working for him this semester...